What we do
TASC was founded in Toowoomba as a Community Legal Service for disadvantaged people in 1982. More than 35 years later we are now Queensland’s largest not-for-profit regional Community Legal Service.
In 2016 we commenced our Psychology and Counselling Service with offices in Toowoomba and Roma. We also provide outreach services to the Darling Downs and South West Queensland. Our primary goal is to support people who would otherwise struggle to access services and supports. Psychology and counselling are complementary to the legal and advocacy work we already do and enhance our broader work in the communities we support.
Our Vision is Social Justice for All. Specifically, we support people who are financially disadvantaged; people who have a disability or are living with a mental illness; people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; people who are experiencing or at risk of domestic or family violence; and seniors over 65 years of age.
Our extensive reach over more than 400,000 square kilometres of South West Queensland demonstrates the capacity and skill of TASC management and staff and the TASC Board to provide cost-effective community legal, advocacy, social services, psychology and counselling services.
We provide the following Programs and Services:
- The Toowoomba Community Legal Service
- The Ipswich Community Law Service
- The Roma Community Legal Service
- The Toowoomba Family Relationship Centre (free individual legal advice and group information sessions on parenting issues and family law matters)
- The Ipswich Family Relationships Centre (free individual legal advice and group information sessions on parenting issues and family law matters)
- The Disability Law Project (free legal services to those with a mental health illness, acquired brain injury or intellectual disability charged by police)
- Rural Women’s Outreach Legal Service (free legal advice and information to women in regional, rural and remote areas of South West Queensland)
- Community Legal Education Program
- The Queensland Social Justice Centre (Centre for Social Change)
- TASC Psychology and Counselling Service
- Regional Disability Advocacy (agents for justice and equity in the lives of people with a disability)
- Community Managed Mental Health Program
- The Seniors Legal and Support Service (free legal and support services for seniors concerned about or affected by elder abuse, mistreatment or financial exploitation)